Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hendry Looks For Repeat Heroics In Indonesia Open



Jakarta, July 13: New Zealand’s Michael Hendry is on the brink of discovering top form as he bids to defend his title at this week’s Indonesia Open presented by Enjoy Jakarta.

He recorded a magnificent seven stroke victory over China’s Liang Wenchong last year at Damai Indah Golf - Pantai Indah Kapuk Course and although he has not triumphed since then he returns to the same venue full of hope.

“My game is not far away from coming together. It is very close to the point where every part of my game is working in unison. I am driving the ball really well and I feel the rest of my game is not far off,” said Hendry.

The 31-year-old’s win last year was the first big victory of his career and as well as the financial reward it gave him a huge confidence lift.

“It certainly was a breakthrough that has allowed me to play with a new level of confidence. The fact that I have not won since then doesn’t worry me. I have come close to winning a few times and I am sure there will be many more chances. I don’t feel nervous being here as defending champion. I am relaxed and in the right frame of mind,” added the Kiwi.

The Indonesia Open presented by Enjoy Jakarta is the seventh event on OneAsia this year and boasts prize money of US$1 million.

An all-star line-up is competing including Liang, Japan’s Shigeki Maruyama, Irishman Paul McGinley, Danny Chia from Malaysia, Korea’s Han Chang-won, and Indonesian number one Rory Hie.

Thailand’s Thaworn Wiratchant, Chawalit Plaphol and Kiradech Aphibarnrat are also playing.

Hendry relived last year’s victory while playing a practice round today.

He said: “On many of the holes I played the same shots as last year. The memories are very strong and should help me this week. At home recently I also watched some of the coverage last year as I have a copy and that has been fun.”

Hendry played with Liang in the final group last year and when the Chinese player was asked how he rated the New Zealander’s victory he joked: “I want to know if Michael will drive as long and straight this week and hole all the putts.”

The man from North Harbour started his sporting career in cricket. He played cricket for New Zealand’s under-19 cricket team and later represented Auckland before opting to focus on golf in his early 20s. He turned professional in 2004.

This week marks the first time that Maruyama has competed in Jakarta and the 42-year-old Japanese star is looking forward to the challenge.

“It feels great to be here. I am recovering from a calf injury I got after playing basketball with my son at home in February. I didn’t play for well over a month so I have gradually been working my way back,” said Maruyama.

The Japanese star, nicknamed the “Smiling’ Assassin”, has won three times on the US PGA Tour and has amassed 10 more titles globally, including the 2002 World Cup with Toshi Izawa in Mexico.

He made golf history when he triumphed at the Greater Milwaukee Open in 2001 becoming the first Japanese player to win a US PGA Tour event on the mainland (Isao Aoki captured the 1983 Hawaiian Open).

This week marks his second appearance on OneAsia as he competed in last year’s Luxehills Chengdu Open.

Hendry has been paired with Chawalit and Takuya Taniguchi from Japan in the first two rounds while Maruyama will play with Liang and Australian Kim Felton.

No comments:

Post a Comment