Tuesday, January 29, 2013

George Gandranata In Hunt For World Golf Ranking Points

Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia, January 29 - The burgeoning Asian Development Tour (ADT), which is the secondary circuit of the Asian Tour, enters a new and exciting era when the third season begins tomorrow with all events receiving Official World Golf Ranking points from this year onwards.

The RM200,000 (approximately US$65,000) PGM CCM Rahman Putra Masters in Malaysia will enjoy the privilege of becoming the first ADT tournament to receive world ranking points, which will be used to determine the field when golf makes a return to the Olympics in Rio De Janeiro in 2016.

Asian Tour Executive Chairman Kyi Hla Han said: “This week marks a new dawn for the ADT. It is a wonderful recognition for the ADT to have Official World Golf Ranking status and this will offer emerging players the opportunity to boost their rankings and play their way into the Olympics in 2016 with consistent performances.

“From the record numbers of 748 golfers at our recent Qualifying School, we expect the fields in our ADT events to be even stronger this season.”

Highly rated Nicholas Fung of Malaysia is in buoyant mood ahead of the Rahman Putra Masters, having successfully earned his Asian Tour card through Qualifying School in Thailand last weekend.

“It is a very good opportunity to boost my points on the Official World Golf Ranking. I think this is good for up-coming players such as myself,” said the bespectacled Fung, who will be amongst the favourites at the Rahman Putra Club this week.

“My confidence is really high at the moment since Qualifying School. Earning my Asian Tour card really helped with my confidence and I’ve been playing very well. I was very happy when I finished inside the top-40 because I can play more on the Asian Tour and also hone my game on the ADT,” added Fung, who is the PGM Tour’s number one.

Sanctioned with the PGM Tour, the tournament will kick start the ADT Order of Merit race where the top three players at the end of the season will earn Asian Tour cards for 2014.

All winners on the ADT will receive a minimum of six world ranking points while the top-six players and ties will earn points based on a sliding scale.

Indonesia’s George Gandranata, who finished 32nd on the ADT Order of Merit last year, is excited at the opportunity of earning world ranking points and taking his career to the next level.

“It is a good opportunity to get world ranking points and also as much experience as I can get. Hopefully I can finish inside the coveted top three on the Order of Merit this season and play on the bigger stage (Asian Tour).

“The goal for me has changed because I’m playing in my second year on the ADT. I’m not just trying to make the cut now. I’ll try to win or finish high up on the leaderboard to get world ranking points,” said Gandranata.

Singapore’s Quincy Quek, winner of the ICTSI Orchard Golf Championship on the ADT last season, believes the standard of the ADT has grown substantially since its inauguration in 2010 when five tournaments were staged. Eight events were held in 2011 while a record 13 were played last season.

“It is good there is something to look forward to. It is a bonus to have world ranking points and it will also mean that the ADT fields will get stronger because the guys will see the benefits of playing here. It will be good for the Tour and I think it can bring it to another level,” said the 26-year-old.

American James Owen hopes to make amends for missing the grade at Qualifying School last week and is aiming to shine in his first season in Asia.

“There’s so much to offer in Asia especially the world ranking points. You can’t work your way up in your career in the smaller Tours back in the United States. But if you win here then you have a chance to move on to bigger things,” said Owen, who turned professional in 2008.

“I didn’t earn my Asian Tour card but my plan is to play on the ADT this season and try to make it on the big stage. The competition here is great and you get to travel the world and see different cultures. I’m more relaxed over here because it is a different type of experience,” he added.

Among the notable names playing at the PGM CCM Rahman Putra Masters include Indonesian Rory Hie, Singaporeans Mardan Mamat and Lam Chih Bing, Zaw Moe of Myanmar, Shaaban Hussin of Malaysia and Unho Park of Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment