Friday, February 22, 2013

Early Exit For Rory Hie At Zaykabar Myanmar Open

Rangon, Myanmar, February 22 - Thai rising star Kiradech Aphibarnrat did not play his best golf but it was enough for a second round five-under-par 67 to take the early lead at the Zaykabar Myanmar Open presented by Alpine on Friday.

Kiradech, who was the co-overnight leader, struggled with his putting but scrambled to a 13-under-par 131 total at the US$300,000 event which is the curtain raiser for the 10th Asian Tour season celebrations.

Thai-based Korean Baek Seuk-hyun (68) was a further four shots back courtesy of two late birdies which was matched by Darren Beck (69) of Australia. They share second place on 135 at the Royal Mingalardon Golf and Country Club.

Frenchman Lionel Webber, who is playing in his first event as a professional, registered a 69 to trail Kiradech by five shots heading into the final two days. There was heartbreak for title holder Kieran Pratt of Australia when he was disqualified for arriving late at the tee box.

Kiradech, who lost-in a playoff to Pratt last year, put himself in position of winning his second Asian Tour with six birdies against one bogey but he is not thinking of a victory yet.

“I’ve had a lot of experience in the last few years of being in contention and winning. Right now, I’m not thinking about winning yet because it isn’t the last day yet. I have two more rounds and I want to do my best and give myself a chance,” said the 23-year-old.

Having shot a 64 in the opening round, the burly Thai hopes to rediscover his putting touch during the weekend rounds. “Whatever happens, I want to do my best. I feel my putting stroke isn’t as smooth as it was yesterday but I won’t do much change, just tweak a bit of my back swing.”

Baek, 22, took advantage of the ideal scoring conditions and birdied three out of the four par fives to charge into contention for a first Asian Tour win.

“I found all the fairways on the par fives and took advantage of that. I made easy birdies especially on the 14th hole when I missed a five feet eagle chance. You need good tee shots and putting here because the greens are very tricky,” said Baek.

Australia’s Beck, who has won once on the Asian Tour, is preparing for a tough weekend as he expects Kiradech to go even lower.

“I’m in a good position but the guys are playing well out there and Kiradech (Aphibarnrat) likes this course. I played steady and had a couple of bogeys which didn’t faze me. I had two birdies on the last which was nice to get to nine-under,” said the towering Beck.

For Indonesian Rory Hie it's an early exit as he was not able to improve enough to make the cut. His second round score of 2-under 70 took him to a 2-round total of 143, 2 shots over the cut at 3-under 141. So this week he's not able to repeat the miracle come back like he did last week at the Singha Esan Open.

Scores after round 2 of the ZAYKABAR MYANMAR OPEN (Par 72):

131 - Kiradech APHIBARNRAT (THA) 64 67

133 - Chawalit PLAPHOL (THA) 67 66, Thanyakon KHRONGPHA (THA) 66 67

134 - HUNG Chien-yao (TPE) 67 67, Marcus BOTH (AUS) 68 66, Joonas GRANBERG (FIN) 65 69

135 - BAEK Seuk-hyun (KOR) 67 68, Darren BECK (AUS) 66 69, Arnond VONGVANIJ (THA) 68 67

Selected

143 - Rory HIE (INA) 73 70

No comments:

Post a Comment