Thursday, February 14, 2013

Poor Start For Rory Hie At Singha Esan Open

Khon Kaen, Thailand, February 14 - Two-time ASEAN PGA Tour champion Mars Pucay of the Philippines sizzled to a seven-under-par 65 to lead the season-opening Singha Esan Open with three rookies, including two of his countrymen, after a low-scoring first round on Thursday.

Pucay, twice a winner during the Tour’s inaugural season in 2007, was joined at the top of a crowded leaderboard by teenage compatriot Clyde Mondilla, a former Philippine Amateur Open champion, American-educated Carl Santos-Ocampo and the unheralded Kittiroj Chantharothai of Thailand.

Kittiroj, out in the morning session, birdied the final hole to head celebrated Thais Prayad Marksaeng and Thammanoon Sriroj by a shot. In the afternoon, the duo were joined by Filipino Antonio Lascuna, who won the 2012/2013 season-ending Sabah Masters last month, and Thailand’s Panuphol Pittayarat, in with matching 66s.

Asian number one Thaworn Wiratchant, a previous winner of the Singha Esan Open who has received an invitation to play the Masters in April, carded a 71 to lie six strokes off the pace at the tough 7,390-yard Singha Park Golf Club.

Pucay, who finished outside of the top-60 on the Asian Tour last season, was delighted at rekindling his love affair with the game on St Valentine’s Day.

“It is a great score for me,” said the 42-year old after his bogey-free 65. “It has been a long time since I shot that low, especially on a long course like this - I am very happy.

“Everything just clicked today - I only missed one green. I needed a low score like that to boost my confidence.”

Mondilla, his country’s amateur champion in 2010, was quick out of the blocks with an eagle at his second hole of the day - the par-five 11th - where he chipped in from just off the green.

“I am really happy with my score - it is my best round as a professional,” said Mondilla, 19, who joined the play-for-pay ranks last February. “I drove the ball straight - I just missed one fairway - and my putting was good.”

Santos-Ocampo, who played college golf for the University of Notre Dame in the United States, kick started his flawless round with four birdies in a row from the 13th (his fourth hole of the day).

“I holed a couple of long putts today but overall it was my ball striking that made the round,” he said. “I hit 14 greens (in regulation) and fired a lot of my approach shots close.”

Earlier, Kittiroj birdied the final hole to edge clear of veterans Prayad, a six-time winner on the Asian Tour and Singha Esan Open champion in 2007, and Thammanoon, who has five international titles to his name.

“I hit the ball very well today - I was relaxed and had a very good feeling,” said Kittiroj, who showed glimpses of his promise at Asian Tour qualifying school in January before fading in the final stage.

“It is the first time I have led an event in Thailand at any point - I finished 48th here last year (after a third round 79) and I did not really do much different today. Everything just clicked, I played well.”

Indonesian hopeful Rory Hie has a tall mountain to climb after a disappointing first round. Despite 4 birdies he finished at 3-over 75, what puts him in a share for 97th. He therefore will need a strong round tomorrow to avoid going home early.

Former Thai tennis star Paradorn Srichaphan, looking to forge a new career in golf, shot a nine over 81 after a disastrous back nine 44. He had a quadruple bogey eight at the first hole (his 10th of the day) and finished with a triple bogey seven.

Leading scores after the first round of the Singha Esan Open on Thursday (Thai unless stated):

65 - Kittiroj Chantharothai, Clyde Mondilla (PHI), Mars Pucay (PHI), Carl Santos-Ocampo (PHI)

66 - Prayad Marksaeng, Thammanoon Sriroj, Antonio Lascuna (PHI), Panuphol Pittayarat

67 - Sutijet Kooratanapisan

68 - Sam Cyr (US), Itthipat Buranatanyarat (amateur), Pawin Ingkhapradit, Punuwat Muenlek, Baek Seuk-hyun (KOR), Chawalit Plaphol

Selected

71- Thaworn Wiratchant

72 – Choo Tze Huang (SIN)

75 - Rory Hie (INA)

No comments:

Post a Comment