Thursday, May 2, 2013

Els Wary Of Asian Challenge At The CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, May 1 - Reigning Open Championship winner Ernie Els of South Africa believes his next biggest challenge will come from Asian players when he makes his debut at the US$750,000 CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters starting on Thursday.

The South African nicknamed the “Big Easy”, has enjoyed more than 60 victories worldwide but as the sport continues to enjoy unprecedented growth on the Asian Tour, the current world number 24 knows the competition is only going to get tougher.

“I had a few offers to play all around the world but I feel that coming to Asia is a good call. I like going around the world as an Open champion and taking the game everywhere and playing with guys that are coming through. I feel that Asia is a market where these guys are eventually going to become top players,” said Els, who finished tied 15th on the PGA Tour on Sunday.

The reigning Open Championship winner registered tied 13th at the Masters Tournament in April with the long putter and hopes to carry the momentum into this week’s full field Asian Tour event staged at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club.

Els headlines the third edition of the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters alongside Darren Clarke of Northern Ireland, three-time Asian Tour winner Anirban Lahiri of India and Scott Hend of Australia, who won the Chiangmai Golf Classic in March.

“I went to Augusta with a long putter and I actually played quite well. While it is good, I’ll go with it and if they change the rules then I’ll go back to the short putter. I like to get to the short putter but I’m putting so nicely with the long putter,” said Els.

“I was so concentrated of getting ready for the Masters that I put all my energy in the long putter so I don’t see any reason why I should change putters,” added the 43-year-old, who helped the Habitat for Humanity, a charity organization, raise funds to build more than two homes for the underprivileged in a charity dinner on Tuesday night.

Meanwhile Lahiri continues his search for a first Asian Tour win outside of India as his previous three victories came from play-off triumphs on home soil.

“I have the game to win anywhere, whether it’s India, Indonesia or Malaysia or even in Europe. For me, the focus is to go out there, enjoy my golf and just stick to the basics and keep it in play,” said Lahiri, who recorded fifth position in last year’s edition.

“The moment we get onto the golf course, we’re not thinking about factors like whether I’ve won here or there, it just trying to hit the best possible shot and focus on what you need to do. That’s really critical for all of us, whether we come here or any other country.”

Hend, who took a three-week break from golf after his win in Chiangmai, hopes to return to winning ways in the country where he won his first Asian Tour title at the 2008 Indonesian President Invitational.

“I flew straight back to Florida after winning in Chiangmai and played soccer with my son on the front yard every day! There was no time to watch the television. I didn’t touch the sticks for three weeks but pulled them out just in time for the Ballantine’s Championship last week.

“I had to do some serious range work in the cold last week. It is nice to be in the warmth here because it takes five minutes to warm up instead of an hour!” said the big-hitting Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment