Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rory Falls Back At Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open

Osaka, September 28 - Park Sung-joon of Korea continued his formidable form after shooting a third round three-under-par 68 to charge into a two-shot lead at the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open on Saturday.

The slightly-built Korean, who has not missed a single cut in Japan this season, overcame the tough playing conditions with four birdies against one bogey for a seven-under-par 206 at the Ibaraki Country Club.

Asian Tour honorary member and Asia’s first male Major champion Y.E. Yang of Korea sank a 15 footer eagle putt on the last for a 69 to share second place with Japan’s Tetsuji Hiratsuka (71), Masahiro Kawamura (71) and Akio Sadakata (68).

Overnight leader Pariya Junhasavasdikul of Thailand slipped back to tied sixth after posting a disappointing 74 to trail Park by three shots at the Y150 million (approximately US$1.48 million) event sanctioned by the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour.

Rory Hie of Indonesia had a round of 74 as well, which saw him drop van share of 5th to a share of 14th, 6 shots off the lead. With 2 bogeys on the front nine and a double bogey on 11th, he was in for a beating, but he was able to recover himself with a birdie on 13th to finish if it off with a bogey-birdie combo.

Park has enjoyed a wonderful season in Japan after changing to a new putter earlier this year which resulted in him winning in September and posting three other runner-up finishes.

“I struggled with my putting last year and I changed to the mallet putter and it really helped me out. I started off well in the season and that gave me a lot of confidence,” said the 27-year-old Park.

“It is going to be another day and another 18 holes. I just got to focus on my game. It doesn’t matter who I’m playing against. I’m feeling pretty comfortable with my game so I should be good,” he added.

Yang, who defeated Tiger Woods at the 2009 US PGA Championship, was even-par after 17 holes but produced a grandstand finish when his pinpoint approach shot landed 15-feet from the hole.

“I only played good for 18 holes but I’m still happy! The wind was blowing quite strongly but my swing has been the same. I think I have a good chance. Park is playing good but I’m only two shots back,” said Yang, who is making his debut at the Asia-Pacific Panasonic Open.

Pariya, a two-time Asian Tour winner, struggled to take advantage of his opening two birdies when he returned with five bogeys including three straight dropped shots from the eighth hole.

“I guess I tried to push it a little bit too much after making early birdies. It is a lesson to learn. I won’t do anything differently except stay patient. If I shoot three or four-under, maybe it might get me to the top,” said the 29-year-old Pariya.

Scores after round 3 of the 2013 Asia-Pacific Open Golf Championship Panasonic being played at the par 71, 7328 Yards Ibaraki Country Club course:

206 – PARK Sung-Joon (KOR) 71-67-68

208 – Akio SADAKATA (JPN) 75-65-68, Y.E. YANG (KOR) 71-68-69, Masahiro KAWAMURA (JPN) 69-68-71, Tetsuji HIRATSUKA (JPN) 71-66-71

209 – Brad KENNEDY (AUS) 72-66-71, SONG Young-han (KOR) 69-69-71, Pariya JUNHASAVASDIKUL (THA) 65-70-74

210 – Kazuhiro YAMASHITA (JPN) 73-67-70, Wade ORMSBY (AUS) 72-67-71

211 – David OH (USA) 75-67-69, LIANG Wen-chong (CHN) 73-71-67, Yoshikazu HAKU (JPN) 72-66-73

212 – LEE Kyoung-hoon (KOR) 70-73-69, Koumei ODA (JPN) 70-71-71, Rory HIE (INA) 69-69-74

No comments:

Post a Comment