Sunday, April 27, 2014

Gandranata's Game Change Pays Off At CIMB NIAGA Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, April 27 - Highly-rated George Gandranata of Indonesia made an astute change to his game strategy which eventually paid off when he posted a final round one-under-par 71 at the US$750,000 CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters on Sunday.

Before coming to the tournament, Gandranata decided to move away from his usual aggressive approach and play more conservatively.

That change in tactics saw him emerge as the sole Indonesian to have made the weekend cut, which was the first in three attempts for the 28-year-old at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club.

“I decided to play a little more conservative this time round and I didn’t attack as much as I did in the past. My caddy and I discussed about how to attack the course on the day before we came for the practice round. I did some work with my coach as well. I am happy the plan worked out for me,” added Gandranata.

Although he posted a four-day total of one-under-par 287 to finish in tie-44th place, Gandranata, who is Indonesia’s highest ranked golfer, was thankful for the huge support he received from the local crowd.

“It has been a great week. I obtained my first goal which was to make the cut but didn’t achieve my second goal which is to get into contention. My worst round this week is better than my best round in the last two years! The local crowd has been very supportive and I hope I did not disappoint them,” said Gandranata, who mixed his card with four birdies against three bogeys.

Since turning professional in 2012, Gandranata has been playing regularly on the Asian Development Tour (ADT) which he claimed has been a great learning platform to hone his game.

“Playing on the ADT has obviously helped a lot in my game. The competition on the ADT is getting better and better. You gained the experience from getting into contention in ADT events which is the closest you get to Asian Tour events. It has been a great learning experience,” said Gandranata.

While he is determined to perform well on the premier Asian Tour and the ADT, Gandranata is ready to lend his support for the new domestic Tour- Professional Golf Tour of Indonesia (PGTI).

“My plan for the remaining of the season is to get into as many Asian Tour events as I can. I will continue to play on the ADT as well as the new domestic Tour which I have mentioned earlier. I want to be there for the new Tour and give it all the support I can to help it grow,” said Gandranata.

No comments:

Post a Comment