Saturday, April 26, 2014

George Gandranata Aims To Finish On A High At CIMB NIAGA Indonesian Masters

Jakarta, April 26 - George Gandranata believes the future of golf in Indonesia is bright as he cast his eyes on finishing off his campaign on a high at the US$750,000 CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters on Saturday.

As the sole Indonesian to have made the weekend cut at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters, Gandranata struggled to a three-over-par 75 but is determined to end his week at the Royale Jakarta Golf Club with a flourish.
“I didn’t do as well as I wanted to. My putting was not good at all. The greens were faster and I can’t really judge the speed. My iron shots were not as good as yesterday’s as well. I still have 18 more holes to play so hopefully I can get back tomorrow,” said the 28-year-old, who compiled a three-day total of even-par 216.

Despite returning with a disappointing score, Gandranata is thankful for all the support he received from the home crowd this week.

“It has been a really good experience playing in this big event. I got a lot of support from the home crowd which is really helpful for me. I was having a tough time today but they cheered me up,” added Indonesia’s highest ranked golfer.

Gandranata believes more Indonesians can make a similar impact on the Asian Tour if they take advantage of the playing opportunities available.

He has been honing his game on the Asian Development Tour (ADT) since turning professional in 2012 and the results are beginning to show as he finally made the cut for the first time in two appearances at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters.

“I know I am the only Indonesian who made the cut but I will try not to think too much and get stressed about that. Golf is golf. I think the most important thing is to stay focused and concentrate on playing one shot at a time. I am pretty sure we will get to see more Indonesians making the cut in future. We have a new Tour so I am confident the standard of golf in Indonesia will continue to grow,” said Gandranata.

No comments:

Post a Comment