Thursday, April 17, 2014

Q&A With Victor Dubuisson Ahead Of The CIMB NIAGA Indonesian Masters

Q: The Turkish Airlines Open and then coming second in the WSG Accenture World Match Play was a great start to the year for you. How do you asses 2014 for yourself?
VD: So far it has been amazing and a bit unexpected. The Turkish Airlines was a great week and I wanted to prove that it wasn’t just a fluke, so winning my PGA Tour Card and being now so close to the Ryder Cup team makes me very happy.

Q: How did you prepare yourself for the Masters Tournament at Augusta?
VD: I spent the week before at home, training with my coach Benoit (Colombier). I wanted to treat it as a normal week but that is difficult because it is not a normal place! I play well at Augusta but next year will be better I hope. I make a couple of bad decisions that I will not do in the future.

Q: Are there areas in your game you would like to improve?
VD: My long game is strong but my putting and short game need some improvement. This is the most important thing for every player including me.

Q: Going by your performance in the past 4 years since turning Pro, do you think you stand a good chance of becoming World Number One soon?
VD: It is too early to think about that. First I need to start contending in Majors and play well every week. You see Adam Scott, Tiger, Rory, Phil – they contend every week. That is what you have to do to be number 1. There are many great players ahead of me at the moment, but I am improving.

Q: How did it feel to beat Tiger Woods?
VD: Oh it was a wonderful feeling. For me though, it was more about winning my first event and knowing that I had a good mentality. I did not panic when I was leading which was very important.

Q: You have witness the strength and depth of Asian golf first hand at the recent EurAsia Cup. Now that you're playing at the CIMB Niaga Indonesian Masters, what are the expectations you've set for yourself since you'll be up against the best players from the Asian Tour.
VD: I am very impressed with the quality of golf in Asia. Anirban (Lahiri) was too good for me in our match. I played well but he was perfect. It is not a big surprise – I have been watching Thongchai, Kiradech, Jeev and Gaganjeet for years and they are all great players with big chances to win important tournaments. There is now much more depth here which is great for golf and will make the Indonesian Masters exciting to watch.

Q: Is this going to be your first time to Indonesia? What are your thoughts on the country?
VD: Yes – my first time in Indonesia. I can’t wait. It is one of the reasons I want to play. I have heard wonderful things about the people here.

Q: What do you consider to be your strength and weaknesses as a player?
VD: My big strength is my recovery shots I think. My weakness – sometimes I get frustrated when I don’t play my best. I need to work on that.

Q: What is a day in the life of Victor Dubuisson like?
VD: I play every day, usually 18 holes. Otherwise I’m with my friends and girlfriend. I like movies and music.

Q: Who has been your role model in golf and why?
VD: I think Tiger. His win at Augusta in 1997 was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. I was only 6 or 7 at the time but it was inspiring.

Q: What is your most memorable moment in golf and why?
VD: Winning in Turkey. That last green. It was incredible for me.

Q: Have you been following the great golf talent in Asia? What is your impression of Asian Golfers? Is there anyone in particular you follow?
VD: Kiradech is a friend, I like the way he plays. Very aggressive and we are both trying to make it on the PGA Tour so we have something in common. Also, he is a very nice guy.

Q: You have risen quickly through the golf ranks, any advise for up and coming pros to be able to achieve what you have in such a short time?
VD: Everyone is different but hard work is the most important thing, probably like any job. It may sound boring but I have played almost every day since I was 10.

Q: If you could share one golf tip with the average golfer, what would it be?
VD: Keep a smooth swing and enjoy the game!.

Q: If you could share one golf tip with up and coming golf professionals, what would it be?
VD: Believe in yourself, be calm and focus on your own play. Do not worry about what other people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment